Attention Artists! Call for Entries
The Great Wall of Honesdale 2023: open call for artists in all mediums
DEADLINE EXTENDED to March 14.
2023 marks the 8th year for The Great Wall of Honesdale, a well-known landmark in Wayne County, PA. More than 100,000 cars pass by “The Wall” in a week and see the large-scale 11 x 17 foot panels.
In June of 2023, we will unveil twelve panels with new artwork, to be on display for an entire year. Each artist is permanently featured on The Wall’s website which includes a link to their personal website or social media: http://www.thegreatwallofhonesdale.com
The Great Wall of Honesdale is a major project presented by the Wayne County Arts Alliance (WCAA), which marks its 20th anniversary in 2023. This year’s theme in conjunction with monumental news for WCAA: the non-profit has secured a large matching grant, which will allow for the purchase of a building on Main Street in Honesdale as their newly established headquarters.
2023 Theme: “HOME IS…”
- The word HOME has many meanings and uses. It is a noun, verb, adverb, and adjective.
- HOME can be a place, a family group, a habitat, or a feeling.
- HOME can foster safety and security.
- What does this word mean to you, and how does that look visually?
- The theme is completely open to artist interpretation
- Please submit up to three (3) jpeg images for consideration. LOW resolution images are requested for judging (72 dpi and 650 pixels on the longest side). Do not submit more than 3 images.
- NOTE: winning entries will be required to submit a HIGH resolution image for printing (300 dpi and 5000 pixels on longest side, at minimum).
- IF YOUR WORK IS CHOSEN, your digital file must be supplied within two weeks! Please have your file ready and available.
- ENTRY FEE: Cost is $10 for 1 entry, $15 for 2 entries, and $20 for 3 entries. See buttons below for payment. WCAA members may enter without paying a fee. All grade school and high school students may enter without paying a fee.
- Each of the twelve selected artists will be required to pay $150 towards their vinyl panel production. (no fee for the selected student artist) We regret asking our artists to help cover expenses, bit with constant rising prices, this is a necessity. This fee covers a portion of production and installation. Panels can be purchased by the artist at the end of the year for an additional $100, if desired.
- Selections will be made based on artistic quality, graphic strength, and interpretation of the theme. The Wall is most often viewed from a distance, so strong graphic interest is important to be effective. All submissions should be HORIZONTAL (wider than it is high) and able to accommodate cropping, if needed.
- Enter your submission(s) via this email: [email protected] Please put “Great Wall Entry” in the subject line. Include ALL contact info in the body of the email (full name, address, phone number, preferred contact method), and attach jpeg files (with specs listed above in #1)
- If you are a student, please include “Student Entry” in your submission, and which school you currently attend.
- The Honesdale Jaycees have generously supported a panel in the past, and artwork for that panel will be selected from qualified student entries.
- EXTENDED Deadline for entry is midnight EST on March 14, 2023. Chosen entries will be notified on Monday, April 3, 2023.
- ELIGIBILITY: If you do not adhere to the above rules, your submission will not be considered.
- If your work was featured on the Wall in 2020, 2021 or 2022, then you are not eligible for 2023.
- The Wall is sponsored by the generosity of local patrons and supporters. The Wall is a project of the Wayne County Arts Alliance (WCAA).
- To become a member of the WCAA, please visit https://waynecountyartsalliance.org/membership/
- In addition to exhibition opportunities for members throughout the year, membership supports our non-profit mission and aids in expenses necessary for high quality programming in our community and beyond.
- Please see the WCAA website for full details, or email [email protected] with questions about membership and/or any WCAA projects.
We strongly encourage artists of all backgrounds and ages to submit their work, including students!
Questions? email Great Wall curators Maggie Fuller and Phyllis Chekenian at [email protected] with plenty of time before the deadline.
Payment for entries may be made directly online here,
or by mailing a check payable to WCAA to WCAA (attention GREAT WALL ENTRY) P.O. Box 645, Honesdale PA 18431